Saturday, February 2, 2008

Good rules

Just saw this while reading feeds, and thought it was one of the best sets of personal rules I've ever read. These are from Corita Kent, an artist and nun(!). I thought I'd share these thoughts here to help me remember them:

  1. Find a place you trust and then try trusting it for a while.
  2. General duties of a student: pull everything out of your teacher, pull everything out of your fellow students.
  3. General duties of a teacher: pull everything out of your students.
  4. Consider everything an experiment.
  5. Be self-disciplined. This means finding someone wise or smart and choosing to follow them. To be disciplined is to follow in a good way. To be self-disciplined is to follow in a better way.
  6. Nothing is a mistake. There is no win and no fail. There is only make.
  7. The only rule is work. If you work it will lead to something. It’s the people who do all of the work all the time who eventually catch on to things.
  8. Don’t try to create and analyze at the same time. They’re different processes.
  9. Be happy whenever you can manage it. Enjoy yourself. It’s lighter than you think.
  10. “We’re breaking all of the rules. Even our own rules. And how do we do that? By leaving plenty of room for X quantities.” - John Cage.

Helpful hints: Always be around. Come or go to everything always. Go to classes. Read anything you can get your hands on. Look at movies carefully often. Save everything, it might come in handy later.

Aren't those perfect? I think I'll print them out and hang them in my workspace.

This weekend, the sun is shining (but it's still pretty chilly out). I have more drawing assignments to complete for work, but I'm perfectly happy to have them. I'm very excited to see how they use all these in the ad campaign, and will post them as soon as I can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like these "rules." Very similar to Zen which I am currently investigating and slowly embracing...

For my b-day we are just doing dinner. Joe got me an airbrush stylus for my Wacom and the hardbound Peanuts Collection 1950-1954. ^^

And I uh, got myself, lots of "stuff." I'll post it all later...
Time to step away from the Discover Card. LOL

O.O