Saturday, September 27, 2008

Twitter and the fast world

Ok, yes; I know I haven't been updating the blog much. But as I recently got an iPhone (and love it to pieces and want it surgically implanted into my flesh and would marry it in a crazy Borg ceremony) I have gotten kind of addicted to Twitter (see it up there?). It's quick, portable, and perfect for those with a very short attention span. And by short I mean under 140 characters. It's like chatting with the world, except the world doesn't really care. But that's ok, because as a whole, we make up the Twitterverse, and are a shallow but broad set of people with single sentences to declare.

Twitter is also an interesting way to follow current events, like the election. It's used by millions of everyday folks, by cats and dogs, and by B- and C- list celebs like Wil Wheaton, John Hodgman, and Penn Jillette. Even corporations use it: Starbucks and Home Depot, for example. I like it for getting breaking news, too, and even local info.

It's a trend, will probably be done when the next big thing comes out, but it's fun in the meantime, and fits in well with a culture that is about sound bites and texting. I imagine that in a few more years, we won't even have the capability to write in entire sentences, and novels will consist of a series of text messages delivered straight into your retinas. Fun!

No comments: